Saturday, October 6, 2007

Sam the Man

still under construction

My entire life I wanted an Old English Sheepdog. I couldn't believe that my husband took me to Columbia to get my precious Sam on August 13,2000. (This would have been my mother's 74th birthday if cancer hadn't taken her away from me two years before). I held this bundle of fur in my lap all the way home. Sam was fun, loveable, and hairy. I know I broke five vaccuum cleaner in the six years that Sam lived in my house, but it didn't matter I loved this dog like no other dog I had ever had before.
Sam loved everyone and he thought everyone loved him just as much. He acted like he was still a tiny puppy even when he was 75 pounds. He didn't realize that he took up the entire chair when he wanted to snuggle with me. My four sons would say, "Sam can do no wrong. You love Sam more that you love us." I knew they were teasing me, but there really was something special about this dog.
I notice I was having trouble hearing out of my right ear. I went to the doctor to have it checked. I was sent for other test and I was diagnosed with MS. I remember going home and sitting on the floor in total shock. Tears began to fall down my cheeks. Big old Sam came over and licked the tears away. I hugged this big fur ball. That big slobbery kiss gave me the courage I needed. I decided that I wasn't going to let MS have control of me until I was 100 years old. I was planning to go to heaven at 100, so this is when I would deal with my MS.

2 comments:

Amy Hudock said...

Sheep dogs are great!

--Amy

Village Writer said...

Daisy,
I think God puts dogs in people's families to show them the full extent of forgiveness they're capable of. children needn't be jealous of what you let the dog "get by" with. they profit from what you're learning that you're going to forgive them for. If I can forgive the dog for tearing up my $100 charleston basket...
Anne Knight